NHFIC operates a $1 billion facility, known as the National Housing Infrastructure Facility (NHIF).
The NHIF offers concessional loans, grants and equity investments to help support eligible enabling infrastructure projects.
What can NHIF financing be used for?
The NHIF can provide financing for projects that provide enabling infrastructure to support new housing, particularly new affordable housing. This includes:
Water and sewerage
To be eligible for financing, an applicant must demonstrate that without NHFIC financing its project would be:
- unlikely to proceed, or
- likely to proceed only at a much later date, or with a lesser impact on new affordable housing.
What can't NHFIC financing be used for?
We won’t provide funding through the NHIF for:
- infrastructure projects that provide housing itself
- community infrastructure, such as parks, day-care centres or libraries
- feasibility, scoping or planning studies (including those that may later lead to infrastructure construction)
- administrative costs associated with a project
- benefits or purposes that are unrelated to providing critical infrastructure for new housing.
Who can apply?
The following applicants may apply for financing through the NHIF:
- an Australian State or Territory
- a local governing body (as defined in section 4 of the Local Government (Financial Assistance) Act 1995 (Cth))
- a local government-owned investment corporation or utility provider that is a corporation engaged in substantial financial or trading activities
- a State government-owned utility provider that forms part of the State or that is a corporation engaged in substantial financial or trading activities
- a Territory government-owned utility provider
- a registered community housing provider
- an entity that is a special purpose vehicle containing at least one of the above mentioned applicants.
How it works
Eligible applicants can apply for finance for a:
- NHIF concessional loan
- NHIF grant
- NHIF equity investment
- A combination of these financing options.
Where the application is for a grant, the NHFIC will give priority to proposals that also seek other forms of NHIF finance as part of a blended financing arrangement.
Need more information?
If you are interested in applying for NHIF finance, first read the NHIF Guidelines to find out more about the application process, terms and conditions.
View the NHIF Guidelines here.
Or if you have further questions refer to our Frequently Asked Questions.
View the FAQs here.
Ready to apply?
Complete and sign the the EOI form (with all information and documentation required to be submitted with the EOI form) and submit to NHFIC by either:
Level 10, Export House, 22 Pitt Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Please download our EOI form here.